Front of House ManagerApply Now
HTM, the largest management company in Niseko, Hokkaido is looking for an experienced and driven food services professional to manage the Front of House. The Manager is responsible for ensuring the smooth daily operations of the Front of House area of Kumo Restaurant and An Dining year-round by managing the front of house team to ensure service standards are maintained and exceeded.
The FOH Manager will be in charge of the day to day running of the guest facing areas which will include duties such as reservation, sales and register system management, staff rostering, training and performance and the ongoing management and updating of operating policies and procedures.
Kumo Restaurant is located within Skye Niseko, which is Niseko-Hirafu's premier independent hotel, with 105 guest suites and a capacity of 460+ guests.
An Dining is located within Ki Niseko, which is Niseko-Hirafu's most successful year-round condominium hotel with 96 guest rooms and a capacity of 220 guests.
The successful applicant will bring the knowledge, experience and drive to continue HTM's position as market leader in Niseko.
Start date: Negotiable
The duties of the Front of House Manager will include but not be limited to;
- Contribute to the development of operating policies and procedures by monitoring the effectiveness of existing policies and procedures and recommending changes to improve team performance.
- Provide the front of house team with the skills and knowledge required to deliver excellent service at brand and concept standards to international/domestic guests through the preparation and delivering of effective training sessions.
- Ensure the effective operation of the front of house team by monitoring individual performance, acknowledging achievements, disciplining and recommending improvements.
- Ensure appropriate planning of staff roster inline with operating reports (number of reservations etc.)
- Ensure an effective knowledge of Restaurant operations is maintained by updating operation logs, procedures and memos, transferring all necessary information from shift to shift and conducting team briefings, meetings and training sessions.
- Resolve any guest complaints when necessary and consult with the Food and Beverage Manager regarding resolutions including service recovery.
- Management of emails and the delegation of tasks to Restaurant Supervisors and Staff.
- Ensure inventory of supplies is kept at efficient levels and wastage is minimised.
- Work closely with the head chef to ensure smooth services for all guests.
- Oversee the Skye Niseko Café and An Dining Café operations when required.
- Ensure reservations, POS and website are in accurate order and up to date.
- Ensure the front of house work area is clean and clear of hazards and adhering to all health, safety and sanitation requirements.
- Complete as necessary incident reporting on all major issues or occupational health and safety matters, major guest complaints/issues and significant damage or breakages.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Experience of a restaurant management role at a Japanese or hotel restaurant for a minimum of 2 years.
- Business level Japanese and English language ability to professionally and courteously respond to a culturally diverse range of customers.
- Ability and experience of leading, managing and motivating a multi-cultural team of seasonal and year-round staff.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Sound working knowledge of wine, bar and barista areas along with restaurant floor service.
- Ability to handle difficult queries and customers in a calm and positive manner.
- Able to prioritise and organise work independently to meet deadlines.
- Able to up-sell the Restaurant & Cafe/Deli menu items.
- Strong computer operating skills - Microsoft Office Suite
Employment Package Details
Employment Period and Status: Ongoing permanent contract
Annual Salary: ¥4,000,000 to ¥4,600,000 per annum depending on experience and language skills.
Location: Niseko, Hokkaido, Japan - An Dining (in Ki Niseko) or Kumo Restaurant(in Skye Niseko)
Working Hours: average 40 hours per week (5 x 8 hour shifts, shift times vary by season)
- All Mountain Lift Pass or 100,000 yen lift pass bonus in winter
- Paid public holidays
- Flexi-time system with excess hours worked taken off during shoulder periods
- Paid overtime
- Free meal and coffee with every shift
- Health, social, and employment insurance
- Staff accommodation available
- Free ski/snowboard group lessons (availability dependent)
Starting Date: Negotiable